How would you like to renovate a building full of 22 boys? Well our renovation is almost done, but it has taken us over 5 months to get it completed.
Westervelt dorm needed a complete makeover and we gave it to them. We did all the work with the boys still living in the dorm which made it quite challenging. We started at one end of the building and worked our way to the other end. The first rooms we did was the lounge where the boys can study, play and just hang out. We also did the kitchen for the boys at the same time. In both rooms we repainted all the walls, put in new ceilings and new LED lights. In the kitchen we retiled the counter top and back splash. We also repainted the cabinets.
The rooms will also be getting new curtains and covers for their couches.
After we finished these rooms we began working on the individual rooms. We were blessed to have one room not being used for the year so we did this unused room first and then had the boys move to the then finished room. In each room we replaced the ceiling, painted the walls, painted the windows and window boxes. We also replaced the mirrors in the rooms and replaced the lights with LED lights. The rooms will also be getting new curtains.
Each room is outfitted with modular furniture which allows the boys to set up the room they way they want it. Each room consists of 2 desks, 2 beds, 2 dressers and 2 closets.
The last rooms for us to complete were the showers, washroom and bathroom. In the shower we added a private shower and then retiled the rest of the room. We are also waiting for a container to arrive with new fan/light units to help with the removal of moisture in the room. I always thought girls took long showers, but these boys really take the cake. 🙂 We also gave the ceiling a new coat of varnish and put in a new cubicle for the boys to store their shampoo and soap.
In the wash room we removed old cement sinks and replaced them with new ceramic sinks. We replaced the old mirrors and added a shelf for the boys to put their toothpaste, etc on while getting ready. We also replaced the LED lights. The walls got a new coat of paint and so did the ceiling once it was replaced.
In the bathroom we removed white ceramic tiles from the bathroom stalls and plastered the walls to have a smooth surface that we could paint. We replaced the stall doors and painted them. We also added 2 urinals for the boys. The walls and ceiling got new coats of paint along LED lights like the other rooms.
The renovations have taken quite some time, but things are looking beautiful. We have a few punch list items which will hopefully get taken care of this week and then we can mark this task done! The dorm has such a homey feeling to it now and will certainly get lots of use in the years to come.